Thursday 10 June 2021
Regulation for Growth
A two-hour session catering specifically to the Heads of Regulators in Africa. The meeting will be a closed-door working group of CEOs and CFOs seeking answers to some of the pressing challenges resulting from the pandemic, including regulation for growth; considering what private sector investors are looking for, preparing regulatory frameworks for new technologies, and the role that regional co-operation can play.
This initial meeting will be followed up with a meeting at the Africa Energy Forum before another online meeting in February 2022.
Topics to be discussed include:
- What emergency regulations have had to be put in place to support developers through the pandemic? Has it been successful?
- Looking forward what regulation is being considered to help accelerate recovery?
- What are private sector investors looking for?
- Preparing regulatory frameworks for new technologies entering the markets
- What role can regional co-operation play?
Confirmed participants to date:
- Ifey Ikeonu, Energy Policy, Markets & Regulation Consultant, Emtech Energy Service
- Wale Shonibare, Director, Energy Financial Solutions, Policy & Regulation, African Development Bank
- Debbie Roets, Executive Secretary, African Forum for Utility Regulators (AFUR)
- Dr. Geoffrey Mabea, Executive Secretary, Energy Regulators Association of East Africa (EREA)
- Elijah Sichone, Executive Director, Regional Energy Regulators Association of Southern Africa (RERA)
- Rose Seretse, CEO, Botswana Energy Regulatory Authority (BERA), Botswana
- Mariam Gui Nikiéma, President, l'Autorité de Régulation du Secteur de l'Energie (ARSE), Burkina Faso
- Balthazar Nganikiye, Director General, Authority for Regulation of Water & Energy (AREEN), Burundi
- Isaías Barreto da Rosa, President, Multisectoral Regulatory Agency of the Economy (ARME), Cape Verde
- Louis Kahindo Boya-Bozene, Chairman of the Board of Directors, Electricity Regulation Authority (ARE), Democratic Republic of Congo
- Gouled Mohamed, Director General, Ministry of Energy & Natural Resources, Djibouti
- Ing. Oscar Amonoo-Neizer, Executive Secretary, Energy Commission, Ghana
- Mami Dufie Ofori, Executive Secretary, Public Utilities Regulatory Commission, Ghana
- Luís Sigá, Director of the Legal Office, Ministry of Natural Resources & Energy, Guinea-Bissau
- Daniel Kiptoo Bargoria, Acting Director General, Energy & Petroleum Regulatory Authority, Kenya
- Dr. Lawrence D. Sekajipo, Chairman Board of Commissioners, Liberia Electricity Regulatory Commission (LERC), Liberia
- Augustus V. Goanue, Managing Director, Liberia Electricity Regulatory Commission (LERC), Liberia
- Abdellahi Zeidane, Director of Electricity & Water, Mauritania Regulatory Authority (ARE), Mauritania
- Abdellatif Bardach, President, National Electricity Regulatory Authority (ANRE), Morocco
- Carlos Joaquim Zacarias, Chairman, INP (Instituto Nacional de Petroleo), Mozambique
- Dafe Akpeneye, Honorable Commissioner for Legal, Licensing & Compliance, Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), Nigeria
- Alexis Mutware, Director of Electricity & Renewable Energy, RURA (Rwanda Utilities Regulatory Authority), Rwanda
- Maria da Conceição Mendes, Chairman of the Board of Directors, Autoridade Geral de Regulação (AGER), São Tomé & Príncipe
- Mohamud Abdulkadir Abdikarim, Technical Expert, Ministry of Energy & Water Resources (MoEWR), Somalia
- Nomfundo Maseti, Full-Time Regulator Member responsible for Piped Gas Regulation, National Energy Regulator of South Africa (NERSA), South Africa
- Tigani M. Fadul Adam, Secretary General, Electricity Regulation Authority (ERA), Sudan
- Godfrey Chibulunje, Acting Director General, EWURA (Energy & Water Utilities Regulatory Authority), Tanzania
- Ziria Tibalwa Waako, CEO, Electricity Regulatory Authority (ERA), Uganda