Head: Infrastructure, Energy, Telecoms
Nedbank Corporate and Investment Banking
Mike Peo is the head of the Infrastructure, Energy and Telecommunications business of Nedbank Capital. He is also the Chairman of the South African Chapter of the International Project Finance Association, is a member of the Governing Board of the African Infrastructure Investment Fund, one of the largest Infrastructure Funds in South Africa and is also a Director of Companies.
Mike is a CA (SA) who spent 10 years at Arthur Andersen and has had 20 years investment banking experience, with the past 16 years being primarily focused on the financing of large scale infrastructure projects in Africa. He has been extensively involved in most of the large scale infrastructure projects in South Africa and over the past five years has originated and led a number of landmark transactions, which have secured in excess of 20 international awards for Nedbank Capital. These transactions include inter-alia:
• the Bakwena Platinum Tollroad refinancing – the largest refinancing in SA,
• the Neotel financing - the largest limited recourse financing in SA,
• two successive capital raises for Neotel totalling R2bn
• the Seacom Undersea Cable project – the first debt financed undersea cable for Africa,
• the New Dawn Satellite project – the first debt financed African satellite.
• the restructure and exit of a mobile telecommunications transaction in Southern Africa
Nedbank Capital’s Energy team has recently been one of the leading players in the funding of South Africa’s renewable energy procurement programme, having secured 23 of the 67 deals allocated totalling approximately R62bn project value in the first three rounds of the programme.